Software apps and online services
Droppyis a file storage server with a web interface and is capable to edit any type of text files and view any media (photos, videos, etc.) files directly in the browser without downloading them. It is particularly designed to be run on low-end hardware like the Raspberry Pi, Banana Pi, Nvidia Jetson, ASUS Tinker, etc. You can use droppy with unlimited storage and all your data will be with you and no other company will get access to it thereby maintaining your privacy. I think you know what I am trying to point out.
Special thanks tosilverwind.About Device:-
- Raspberry Pi:- Raspberry Pi is a low-cost, credit-card-sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse. It is a capable little device that enables people of all ages to explore computing and to learn how to program in languages like Scratch and Python. It’s capable of doing everything you’d expect a desktop computer to do, from browsing the internet and playing high-definition video, to making spreadsheets, word-processing, playing games, and many more. It has the ability to interact with the outside world and has been used in a wide array of digital maker projects, from music machines and parent detectors to weather stations and tweeting birdhouses with infra-red cameras. You can download theraspberry pi OS fromhere.
- SD card (64Gb):- It is a type of storage device. It is used to read and write large data. In our project, we use this to write raspberry pi OS image and store our server data. UseSD card of reading speed 100mb/s. Buy a SD card fromhere.
I am using Rufus for writing OS image in SD Card.
I am not showing in this article and tutorial video how you can write OS image in SD Card. You will find many videos related to this on YouTube.
- 5v DC fan:- This fan helps to cool down your raspberry pi as its processor and RAM start heating up after a long time. I would also suggest that you use heat sink on its processor and RAM for better cooling. Buy fromhere.
- Power Supply:- Use any 5v and 4amp power supply according to raspberry pi used by you.
You can use any model of theraspberry pi for this project but for smooth performance use raspberry pi 4B with at least 4Gb ram. Buy fromhere.
Your server’s storage will depend on your SD card.
It works on thelatest node versions only.Advantages:-
- Responsive HTML interface.
- Authentication isrequired for login.
- Real-time update on change file system.
- Multi Directory and File upload support.
- Drag-and-Drop option for uploading.
- Split-screen support.
- Search button provided.
- Zip download support for directories.
- Generate shareable links of files.
- Text editor to edit text files.
- Various language support for text editors.
- View media files online.
- Full-screen support.
- Homescreen support on android and win-10.
- Create file and directory support.
- Delete files and directory support.
- Add and Delete users.
- After some setup, it can be accessed over the network (Article will be updated after this feature is added).
- Need constant power supply.
- Need constant internet connection.
- Don’t support separate storage partitions for multiple users.
- Don’t support theonline view of word, excel, PowerPoint files.
- When we setup and use it over the network large files are not able to upload correctly. You have to upload all files in zip.
- Sometimes due to bad network connectivity, it takes lot of time to play the video online.
We are working on it to fix all its disadvantages and to add new user friendly features to it.Detail Video tutorial:-
Please watch the complete video for thefull tutorial.Project Images:-
Below are some images of theproject.
apt-get update –y
apt-get upgrade –y
apt-get install npm –y
npm install –g n
npm install –g droppy
npm install –g localtunnel
chmod –R ugo-rwx /srv/
cp –rvf /usr/bin/nodejs /usr/bin/node
droppy start –c /srv/droppy/config –f /srv/droppy/files
Now just copy the IP address from theterminal and paste it into your browser. For thefirst time, you have to set your username and password and after that, you can login from any device’s browser with thesame username and password which you set.
Now you can store any files online on your own server and access them from anywhere. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this project.