Software apps and online services
Hand tools and fabrication machines
The novel Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) was first reported on 31 December 2019 in the Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. It started spreading rapidly across the world . The cumulative incidence of the causative virus (SARS-CoV-2) is rapidly increasing and has affected 212 countries and territories with USA, Spain, Italy, U.K. France, Russia, India and Turkey being the most affected . World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, while the virus continues to spread . As on 05 June 2020, a total of 3, 581, 884 confirmed positive cases have been reported leading to 248, 558 deaths . Researchers around the world are trying to invent a vaccine for Covid-19.
The virus is primarily spread between people during close contact, most often via small droplets produced by coughing, sneezing, and talking. The droplets usually fall to the ground or onto surfaces rather than travelling through air over long distances. Less commonly, people may become infected by touching a contaminated surface and then touching their face. It is most contagious during the first three days after the onset of symptoms, although spread is possible before symptoms appear, and from people who do not show symptoms.
Recommended preventive measures include hand washing, covering one's mouth when coughing, maintaining distance from other people, wearing a face mask in public settings, and monitoring and self-isolation for people who suspect they are infected. Authorities worldwide have responded by implementing travel restrictions, lock-downs, workplace hazard controls, and facility closures. Many places have also worked to increase testing capacity and trace contacts of infected persons.
The World Health Organization (WHO) advised us to wash hands, wear mask, maintain social distance, disinfect personal belongings for preventing the spread of coronavirus. To prevent the spread of coronavirus, we are presenting a system for sanitizing shoes. Its help us to disinfect our shoes.
The main objective of the system is to disinfect the shoes by throwing liquid sanitizer. The system look like a shoe mat. we place sanitizer sprayer under the mat. The system sprays liquid fluid when it senses the shoes. A IR sensor array is used for sensing the presents of shoes or people. The micro-controller is responsible for coordinating whole system such as, ON/OFF the liquid flows, senses the shoes etc.List of Components
- Control Unit - Control the whole system. Maintains fluid flow intervals. Fluid flow based on sensor data (whether the shoes are present or not ). A micro-controller is used here as a control unit.
- Sensor (IR proximity) - used for sensing shoes or peoples feet.
- Water pump - flows liquids disinfection liquid from tank to mats.
- Sanitizing tank - The reservoir of liquid fluids.
- Water spring head - used for spraying the fluids.
- Connecting pipe - used for supplying liquid sanitizer from sanitizing tank to shoes mats.
- Frame - customized frame (wooden or steel or PVC materials ) for mounting the disinfection mats.
- Genuino Uno (1 pcs) - 25 USD
- IR Sensor (1pcs) - 3 USD
- DC Water Pump (1pcs) - 8 USD
- Mosfet Switch (1pcs) - 2 USD
- Connector cables ($2)
- Water pipe (1 meter) - 2 USD
- 12 Volt Power supply - 8 USD
- Liquid Tank (500 ml) - 3 USD
- PVC sheets (3 square feet) - 12 USD
- Glue gun
- Cutter knife
- Arduino IDE
First we cut the PVC sheets according to the measurements. Then we place the water pipe on it. A small hole is needed for placing the IR sensor. We need to make some small (very small) holes on water pipe for throwing the water. Those small holes works as a spraying nozzle. We need to check weather the spraying nozzles are working or not. For this purpose we connect the water pipe with water pump and throw the water. A water spraying demonstration is shown in the video:Liquid flow testingCircuit diagram
The Circuit diagram is given in the figure. We need to connect all the components with Arduino Uno board.
We connect the IR sensor array with Arduino uno according to the circuit diagram, the IR sensors actually sense the presence of shoes. Here we use one IR sensor. The signal port is connected with Arduino's PIN#D2. The VCC and GND is connected with VCC and GND of Arduino.
We use a MosFET switch which works as a relay. This Mosfet switch is used for triggering the water pump. The data port of the mosfet switch is connected with Arduino's PIN#D8. The VCC and GND are connected with VCC and GND of Arduino.
A external power source is used for powering the water pump, since it requires more power.
The jumper wire or connecting wire are used for connecting all the components. We flash the Arduino Uno by using Arduino IDE.
We placed all the components on a PVC sheet. The hot glue are used from attracting all the components on PVC sheet. We connect the water pipe with the output line of water motor. The input line of the water motor is connected with liquid fluid tank. The liquid fluid tank supplies the disinfection materials (sanitizing fluids). This section shows some photos of the complete system.DEMO
The overview of the systemConclusion
Shoe sanitizing is used to disinfect shoes. This system can be used in various offices, business farms, educational institutions, super-shops, homes etc. Sterilization system (presented in this project) helps us to fight against viruses.Reference
1. C. Wang, P.W. Horby, F.G. Hayden, G.F. Gao, A novel coronavirus outbreak of global health concern, The Lancet 395 (10223) (2020) 470–473.
2. Coronavirus - worldometer, link: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/, [online accessed]
3. G. Li, E. De Clercq, Therapeutic options for the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-ncov), 2020.
4. "Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)".World Health Organization. 17 April 2020. Archived from the original on 14 May 2020. Retrieved 14 May2020.
6. Bourouiba L (March 2020). "Turbulent Gas Clouds and Respiratory Pathogen Emissions: Potential Implications for Reducing Transmission of COVID-19". JAMA. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.4756.PMID 32215590.