This tutorial will teach you how to use Digilent's Pmod interfaces in LabVIEW. Digilent provides several SubVI's that are designed to make implementing and using a Pmod on a Microcontroller as straightforward as possible.Prerequisites
- A Linx supported device(list of LINX supported devices found here)
- USB Cables
- LabVIEW (install instructions not included)
- NI_VISA (install instructions included)
- LINX (install instructions included)
1.1) Once you have LabVIEW installed you will need to install NI VISA, NI VISA is utilized by LINX in order to communicate with microcontrollers and other supported boards. The download has an installer that will guide you through the installation process:
- To connect with LabVIEW, LabVIEW MakerHub LINX is used. LINX provides multiple LabVIEW VIs ranging from a basic analog read to setting up different communication protocols and more. Download LabVIEW MakerHub LINX here by clicking on download from the attached page.
- Click download toolkit after clicking download. This is a VI Package Manager link so click launch application to open the VI package manager. Make sure if this isn't your first time with LabVIEW to update your VIPM so the newest LINX builds can be shown.
- Choose your version of LabVIEW in the upper left corner of the window that pops up and click install. The list of packages will be listed, just click next and then accept the license agreements. LINX will now be downloaded and installed. Once the installation is finished, restart LabVIEW and close all of the VIPM windows.
- From LabVIEW, open a new VI and press control+E to open the Block Diagram.
- Right click to open the functions pallete, then press the pin in the top left to pin it down and select MakerHub->LINX->Sensors->Pmods to view the Pmod SubVI's.
- Select the Pmods you want to use to see its Sub VI's. Most contain an Open, Read and Close Sub VI's.
Some only contain an Open and Read because a close is not required for the particular Pmod.4. Find Pmod Example VI
- Open the "NI Example Finder" by selecting Help->Find Examples.
- Select the search tab in the top left corner and enter "LINX" into the search tab and press search. Scroll down and you will see the examples for every pmod that currently has a LINX Sub VI.
Select the example for the Pmod you are trying to use a VI similar to the one above will appear.
Each example will include a short description along with instructions for using the Pmod.Step 3: The End
Thank you for reading my tutorial. Check out LabVIEW Makerhub for more information about LINX and the ways you can use Pmods with LabVIEW. Please feel free to comment with any questions or comments you may have.